This page provides educators with resources for effective use of
the handheld computer in support of teaching and learning.
The site includes supporting Web sites, links to hardware
and software sites, books, and training handouts.
- All the Rage for a Reason
...an article from Interative Educator dealing with handheld use in schools (11/05)
- Classroom of the Future (archived)
...a sample of the classroom set-up with handheld computers for all students
- Coaches Grab Handheld Computers to Track Stats
...an article outlining the use of the handheld computer as a strategic planning device in high school sports (07/03)
- Competing Visions of Handheld Use in the Classroom
...a thought-provoking article which covers the best ways to use the handheld to support teaching and learning (03/04)
- Discover the World of Handhelds
...Annette Lamb's presentation support site dealing with digital imaging and geocaching and their curricuum tie-ins
- Donna McGauley's Palm Resources
...a great set of links to resources to support the use of the handheld computer in the classroom
- Education in Hand
...a supplement to District Administrator, this publication provides articles specific to the use of handheld computers in the classroom
...a teacher-created site with links and ideas for teachers just starting out with the Palm™ OS
- Getting a Handle on Handhelds
...from Electonic School. this article provides thirteen planning points before and after making the decision to implement a handheld program (2001)
- Gizmos and Gadgets: The Next New Things
...handouts and PPT presentations about the use of classroom handhelds
- Handheld Computers as Mindtools (archived)
...the use of a handheld computer to "help the learner organize, represent and make inquiries about what they know"
- Handheld Computers: Power in the Palm of Your Hand
...an article I wrote for the October 2003 issue of Classroom Connect
- Handheld Computing for Educational Leaders:
A Tool for Organizing or Empowerment
...an overview of the ways administrators can utilize handheld computers for leadership and mentoring
- Handheld Devices Make Inroads in the Classroom
...an article from 2001 which contains some good rationale for the use of handhelds
- Handheld Learning
...a site dedicated to the use of handhelds to support teaching and learning; contains a leadership model
- Handheld Learning HQ
...an online handheld community with news, a forum, articles by notable handheld experts, and much more
- Handheld Research: Ubiquitous Computing
...overview of recent research on the use of handhelds in the classroom
- Handheld Technology: A Chance to Do Things Right (archived)
...a online presentation by Bard Williams comparing the trends of the past, present, and future
...a grant support site with an overview of research, ideas for assessment, and much more
- Handhelds in the Classroom
...a well-done site with lots of information in support of handheld use in a Missouri school district
- Handhelds in Education: The Answer to 1-1 Computing?
...a well-done overview of the state of handheld computers in the education field
- Handhelds in the Schools: Tools for Teachers
...an August, 2003 article dealing with the use of the handheld for teacher administrative tasks
- Handhelds in the Classroom
...an overview and many links to the uses of handhelds in education
- Hotlist on Handheld Computers in Schools
...quick links to various handheld sites
- Intel Education: Learning with Handhelds
...a well-done, practical, and idea-filled overview of the impact and use of handhelds in the schools
- Learning in Hand
...a well-done, educator-produced Web page with activities, ideas, and successful practices with Palm™ and PocketPC™ handheld computers in the classroom
- KPBSD Palm Page
...resources and ideas for teachers and administrators
- Lesson Plans
- Bridging the Disconnects
...over 200 teacher-created lesson plans for using the handhelds in the classroom
- Handheld Educator
...a supplement to Technology and Learning which includes lesson plans and much more information about the use of handheld in the classroom setting
- Handheld Lesson Plans
...work created by Tony Vincent's graduate class
- Intel: Teaching with Handhelds
...lessons and activities for introducing the handheld, data collection and research, and engaged and active learning
- PocketPC Lesson Plan Ideas
...a collection of lesson plans that teach students the functions of the PocketPC handhelds
- MD Students Use PDAs
...an overview of a pilot project which employs wireless handheld computer access to the Internet
- Mobile Technology
...links to articles and Web sites dealing with the use of handhelds and wireless technologies in the classroom
...information, curriculum ideas, suppliers, and much more dealing with ubiquitous use of handhelds in the classroom
- 101 Great Educational Uses for Your Handheld
...a great list of ideas and tips for using the handheld in the classroom
- Palm Curriculum Integration Camp
...all types of great training resources shared by a Michigan school district
- Palmtops: Computing @ Every Student
...information, resources, and successful practices from the handheld program in the Plano (TX) Schools
- Personal Digital Assistants in the Middle School Classroom
...the result of a research study that dealt with how handheld computers assist teachers in integrating various technologies into classroom management and assessment procedures
- Power in the palm of your hand:
Using handhelds to transform teaching and learning
...an article I wrote for the November 2004 issue of Classroom Connect
- Report Card on Handheld Computing
...an overview of the issues surrounding the pros and cons of the implementation of handheld programs in schools
- TeachingNow: Handhelds in Omaha
...watch a television program (via RealVideo) which visits Tony Vincent's classroom and includes expert commentary
- Technology in Hand
...outcomes, ideas, and videos from a pilot handheld project in both an elementary and a high school setting
- Usability and Accessibility of Handhelds in the Classroom
...information and ideas for use of the handheld computer as assistive technology for students
- Using a Handheld as Part of Your Assistive Technology Toolkit
...a site which both educates the reader about the special needs learner and provides solutions using the handheld computer as an assistive technology device
- Using Handheld Technologies in Schools
...an updated HTML article with all types of great info about handheld computers
- Using Palm™ OS Handhelds Within the Curriculum
...an online book support site with links to many useful Palm™ OS applications and ideas
- Ball, Derek and Barry Shilmover. (2006)
How to Do Everything with Your iPaq Pocket PC. 3rd ed..
- Ball, Derek and Barry Shilmover. (2004)
How to Do Everything with Your Treo 600..
- Broida, Rick and Dave Johnson. (2005)
How to Do Everything with Your Palm Handheld. 5th ed..
- Camp, Donna and Bonita DeAmicis. (2006)
Integrating Handhelds into the Writing Curriculum.
- Carlson, Jeff. (2004)
Palm Organizers: A Visual QuickStart Guide. 4th ed..
- Caughlin, Janet and Tony Vincent (2003)
Handhelds for Teachers & Administrators. (Online support page)
- Collins, C. P. and Tracy Brown (2004)
Pocket PC: Visual Quickstart Guide.
- Curtis, Michael, et. al. (2002)
Palm Handheld Computers:
A Complete Resource for Classroom Teachers.
- Curtis, Michael, et. al. (2004)
Palm OS Handhelds in the Elementary Classroom:
Curriculum and Strategies.
- Fasimpaur, Karen. (2003)
101 Great Educational Uses for Your Handheld Computer.
- Fasimpaur, Karen. (2005)
Integrating Handhelds Across the Curriculum:
A Cross-Curricular Activity Book for Grades 4-8..
- Frazel, Midge and Joe R. Souza Jr. (2003)
Tips & Tricks for Using Handhelds in the Classroom..
- Gramling, Adam, et. al (2004)
Pocket PC Computers: A Complete Resource for Classroom Teachers..
- Hirsch, Jim, et. al. (2002)
Palmtops: Computing @ Every Student..
- McPherson, Frank. (2006)
How to Do Everything with Your Windows Mobile Device..
- Staudt, Carolyn. (2004)
Changing How We Teach and Learn With Handheld Computers..
- Williams, Bard. (2006)
Handheld Computers and Smartphones in Secondary Schools: A Guide to Hands-On Learning..
Presentation in PDF format
Australia presentation in PDF format
(Article) Handheld computers: Power in the palm of your hand (10/03)
(Article) Power in the palm of your hand: Using handhelds to transform teaching and learning (11/04)
Created by Kathy
Last updated 01/15/07